Rhinoplasty is an invasive operation which a cosmetic surgeon performs to improve the appearance of your nose. This procedure can address many aesthetic issues affecting your nose. These include poorly-sized nostrils, a dorsal hump on the nasal bridge, altar retraction, and a box-shaped nose tip. This surgery can even rectify the following nasal deformities and medical conditions:
- Damage to inner nasal structures or nose bridge resulting from an injury,
- Sinus infections,
- A crooked nose due to a congenital disability which makes breathing normally difficult,
- Mild forms of sleep apnea, and
- Deviated septum resulting from the displacement of the wall separating the left and right nasal passages.
Why visit rhinoplasty doctors?
You might want to visit rhinoplasty doctors specializing in rhinoplasty procedures for any of the following reasons:
- Repair damage to your nose resulting from a serious injury,
- Correct breathing issues you been suffering from since birth,
- To change the overall appearance of your nose to improve its aesthetic appeal.
The surgeons might make certain changes to your nose to improve its appearance and functionality. These include altering its size, angle, narrowing the nostrils, reshaping the tip, or strengthening the nasal bridge.
How to prepare for rhinoplasty operation?
To undergo a rhinoplasty operation, you first need to visit and consult a board-certified surgeon. He should have adequate knowledge, experience, and skills in successfully performing this procedure. During the consultation, your doctor will:
- Go through your past medical history and give you a thorough check-up,
- Determine whether you are suffering from any bleeding disorders like hemophilia, and
- Physically examine your nose and take photographs of it to determine the change/changes to be made.
Your doctor will further instruct you to abstain from smoking, consuming certain over-the-counter medicines or herbal remedies.
During the operation
During the procedure, this surgeon and his team of medical specialists will first sedate you with anesthesia. They will make small incisionson the base of your nose between the two nostrils. They then proceed to readjust the relevant nasal bones and cartilages. These changes will eventually improve the appearance and functionality of your nose. After the operation is over, they will transfer you to a recovery room to recuperate.
After the operation
After the rhinoplasty surgery, the surgeons will cover your entire nose with bandages. You have to keep the dressing on for at least seven days for protection and support. To minimize the swelling, bleeding, and chances of infection, your doctor will instruct you to:
- Avoid strenuous exercises like blowing your nose,
- Take baths rather than showers to cleanse yourself,
- Consume high-fiber meals to hasten the healing process,
- Limit the movement of the upper lip when brushing your teeth,
- Sleep with your head above your chest at night, and
- Do not wear clothes you have to pull over your head.
You can improve the appearance by undergoing an operation under the supervision of qualified and Board-Certified rhinoplasty doctors. You should ensure these surgeons have a valid medical license and board certification before selecting them. They should have the necessary experience in performing the surgery and not be guilty of any unethical malpractice. Above all, they should have positive online reviews from previous patients, and the surgery should be conducted in a clean and safe clinic.